The Alumni Scholars Program (ASP) serves as an outlet for alumni clubs to help alleviate financial burdens for local students. It gives clubs the opportunity to recruit exemplary students from their area and encourage them to attend The Ohio State University
• We suggest that clubs award a minimum of $600 from their Ohio State account.
• Active clubs with a current use account may also be able to award $600 of University money.
• Clubs with endowment accounts do not have access to the university $600 scholarship.
Who is Eligible?
ASP is a merit-based program. Financial need is not a component unless specifically stated in the club’s fund description. The Office of Undergraduate Student Financial Aid awards recipients based on the recommendations of a club’s scholarship committee.
Eligible students must:
• Apply to Ohio State by November 1. It’s preferable that a student is admitted to the University but not required.
• Have a record of performance in activities both in school and in the community.
• Impress the scholarship committee with a sound interest and positive attitude toward college work.
• Be residents or attend high school in the area in which the participating alumni club’s membership is based. (See fund description.)
The scholarship committee may recommend a currently enrolled undergraduate or transfer student to be awarded the University-funded $600 scholarship if no entering freshman is attending Ohio State from the club area. If the scholarship is from club funds, it must be in accordance with any current use or endowment description.
Renewal awards for upper class students can be made as long as they comply with the club’s endowment description.
Ohio State student athletes (varsity and walk-on) may be eligible to receive a club scholarship. Each case will be reviewed by The Athletic Compliance Office to determine if the student can keep the club scholarship.
1. Download current forms from the Alumni Groups website. Never use old forms.
2. Select your committee, brief them on procedure.
3. Email the “Information for the Student”, “Information for Guidance Counselor”, “Got Bucks Poster” and the application link to guidance counselors in the club area.
The projected available balance to award will be sent to the scholarship leader in February.
The Selection Process
1. Students complete the online application between November 1 and February 1.
2. Submitted applications will be sent to the club scholarship leader.
3. Review applications and invite the best candidates to an interview by one of the ways listed below. If your committee is unable to conduct full interviews, choices can be made based solely on applications.
· In person
· Google Hangout
4. Evaluate applicants using the ASP Score Sheet.
5. Email the following items to Leslie Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org by March 1 or as soon as possible.
· Cover sheet
· Entering freshmen rankings
· Alternate entering freshmen rankings
· Currently enrolled rankings
The club recommendations to The Office of Undergraduate Financial Aid are not final until they post awards to recipient’s Buckeye Link account. This process takes place in March for entering freshmen and late May for currently enrolled students.
Financial Aid will not begin the process without money in the club’s account to cover the award(s). Mail a club check using the Gift Processing Form to: OSUAA Alumni Scholars Program, Attn: Leslie Smith, 2200 Olentangy River Rd, Columbus, OH 43210 by December 20.*
*It’s preferred the club send scholarship fund-raised monies in to OSUAA in June and December.
Individuals can always contribute to the club’s scholarship fund online with a credit card. Those who wish to maintain their sustainer standing with OSUAA can contribute $75 to the club scholarship fund. It is a win for the donor and a win for the students.
Leslie Smith, Stewardship Coordinator Alumni Scholars Program
The Ohio State Alumni Association
2200 Olentangy River Rd
Columbus, OH 43210
Phone: (614) 292-6576